Saturday, May 21, 2011

Binging

This past Thursday, I had a ridiculous day for caloric intake at 945 total for the day. On Friday, I was completely hungry, but not just for anything, for my favorite food on the planet--PIZZA!

After coupling 945 calories with an intense HIIT workout and a pathetic excuse for an attempt at Ab Ripper X, I felt HORRID on Friday. I had already decided Friday morning I was having pizza for lunch, and since I had been so low in cals on Thursday, I reasoned with myself and said, “I have extra cals, so this will not be a problem.”
One would think I would have gotten the clue last time I decided to eat pizza that it is just not a great choice for me, b/c I have zero control over myself when I eat it—but NO! Not me! I’ll spare the details of the chain restaurant and selection, so as to not tempt anyone or myself, but let me just say, it was the yummiest, fattening thing I’ve eaten since the last time I ate pizza! I didn’t stop there! I was feeling so overly-enthusiastic, I decided to have dessert too! Why not go for the COMPLETE gusto!!
4 pieces later, I was completely FULL. Not in the usual..”I’m full and don’t want anything else healthy to eat”, like I normally am. Nope! It was more like..”OMGosh, I am so stuffed if I even look at another slice of pizza I will hurl right here!” disgusting type feeling!

Needless to say, after an hour, I felt HORRIBLE! My abdominals were sore from P90X, as were my upper thighs from doing “bicycle and reverse bicycle”. I had taken a Zantac, but I still felt like pizza was middle ways in my esophagus (gross). I felt like I couldn’t swallow it (even more gross). On top of this… I had ZERO motivation and even less than ZERO energy. I was completely DRAINED!

I drank some water, but it clearly wasn’t helping.

I didn't really consider myself a binge eater, a binge drinker--yes!
But not really a binge eater, until I did a little investigative
work on the signs of this eating disorder.

Symptoms
  • Eating large amounts of food
  • Eating even when you're full
  • Eating rapidly during binge episodes
  • Feeling that your eating behavior is out of control
  • Eating a lot even though you're not hungry
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Frequent dieting, possibly without weight loss
  • Frequently eating alone
  • Feeling depressed, disgusted or upset about your eating
Some of these characterize me to a tee at times, which include:
  • Eating when I'm full
  • Eating alone
  • Feeling upset afterwards about what I just ate
  • Eating correctly and exercising without a budge on the scale
  • Eating more food than I would typically eat
According to the Mayo Clinic website, this is an actual "disorder", and they suggest you seek medical treatment immediately! I am certainly not going to just drop everything and rush right over to my local psyche MD and demand a pill for treatment--I am too "anti-Western medication treatment" for that, but it has opened my eyes to make me more aware that this is a real medical diagnosis and since I do find myself doing this sometimes, I should pay close attention to when the opportunity can weasel its way to my mouth!

Times I have noticed great opportunity for a successful binge:
  • Eating too few calories the day before
  • Choosing beforehand that I have "deserved" to eat what I want, because I have done so well all week
  • Being exposed to My Sinful Food list
  • Planning to eat out in a restaurant--alone

My Sinful Food List
  • Birthday Cake (vanilla with the sugar, cholesterol, calorie laden icing)
  • Real Ice Cream
  • Frozen Yogurt
  • Crackers (almost any kind)
  • SnackWells Vanilla Cookies
  • Fruity Candy (Skittles, Smarties, Starburst, Lemon Heads)
  • Fresh Fruit (Strawberries, Grapes, Melons)
  • Tortilla Chips (esp from a Mexican Restaurant)
  • Chinese Buffets
  • Pizza (chain joint or boxed and frozen)
  • Merlot
  • Pina Coladas
  • Coconut Cake--really just any cake except chocolate
  • M&Ms peanut
  • Happy Heart Trail Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment